We had bought 5 of these faux tin tiles made by Fasade at Lowes.
I had initially seen these tiles when our parents used them in remodeling their kitchen. We were blown away by how much they looked like real metal.
BUT, these panels are NOT cheap. They ended up being the most expensive part of our remodel, and that's saying something about how cheap we are in this renovation as they were in total $130 for the five panels and that's really not that much money in the grand scheme of things.
We technically could have used fewer than 5 panels, but we wanted as seamless a look as we could possibly get. That meant that we needed to have more panels to have more edges and patterns to match up properly.
The panels we chose are 18.5-in x 24.5-in dimensions and the pattern is Cross Hatch Silver.
This paneling is really remarkable. It cuts super easily with plain scissors and washes up very nicely. Once we had outlined our template for the curved (read; impossibly difficult and stressful to outline, and measure) window over the sink and traced it onto the panels. We used a sharpie to draw on the panels and once we had cut the panels, the marker washed off very easily with rubbing alcohol.
Once the panels are cut, there is a protective film that must be removed before applying them to the walls.
Laura captured the photo below of me and I love it. I really can't stress enough how anxiety inducing the proper measuring and aligning of this paneling was for us ( me ).
I may or may not have had a mini stroke in the process.
Once both of the panels that frame the curved window were cut and fit perfectly, we could finally breath a sigh of relief.
I want to mention as well, our dear friend Martha came to help with the measuring and cutting of the paneling. She was so incredibly helpful and it was a blast having our friend there to have fun with ( and to talk me off my cliff when I got too worked up about the damn paneling.)
Martha has an awesome little camper of her own (part of the inspiration that led to the buying of Maisie) and it was fun to have someone so understanding of camper living to help us with our projects.
Once we had gotten the paneling cut and overlapped just the way that we wanted it, we decided to take a break. We stuck the panels in place with tape and walked away.
We were so happy with the fact that we were hard pressed to find the seams where the panels overlapped.
We gave each other high fives and stepped away from the camper.
The stress of the day had been enough (and took 2+ hours) and we agreed to revisit it later in the week to glue the paneling into place.
A few days later, it was time to get that paneling up on the walls permanently.
We researched the preferred adhesives for these specific panels and got a tube of liquid nails at the hardware store and bought an adhesive gun at the Dollar store.
The paneling has instructions for applying the adhesive and the panels to the walls written on a sticker on the back of each panel.
We followed the instructions and got to work.
This step in the paneling project was the best! It was full of smiles and comments such as "How easy is this?!?!?!?" and "Why couldn't the other day have gone this quickly? "
Once the paneling was all applied and we made sure that we had pressed it really well into place, we stepped back and marveled at our handiwork (if we do say so ourselves!) and were literally in awe of how freaking awesome it looked!
AND, I have to say now how thankful we are for how... even though it was a lot more time consuming and tedious than we had thought it would be, we are so happy that we took our time.
It completely changed the whole area.
In a good way.
What the backsplash looked like before (removal of border).
Before applying the paneling.
Applying the paneling with adhesive
Ok, we are getting even closer! One more project and we are DONE!
The final project is the application of the privacy film on the window in the bunk area.
We hope that you come back to see the future renovations that we have planned for our girl!
We are so excited!
Truly, Julia and Laura